- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Friday 22 October 2010

Short Term Bearish Setup

I wouldn't regard myself as a bear on equities on anything other than a very long term basis here and almost everything I'm seeing argues that the traditionally strong period November to April in most annual investing cycles is likely to be strong this time too. I'm not wild about the economic backdrop we're looking at, but I'm expecting equities to rise over the next few months regardless.

That said we would normally expect to see a significant high and retracement in October and right here and right now, the short term setup for a correction from yesterday's high is looking very good. On SPX we hit an important trendline for the second time in recent days and were rejected again. The previous steep rising channel has broken in recent days and we've spent several days making what looks increasingly like an interim top:


Strong assistance for a correction looks ready to be provided by USD, which is bouncing within the strong declining channel. The setup looks good for USD to bounce back up over 80 here and while that's happening is the best chance that we're going to see for any correction in equities:


One thing that I look for in a reversal within a big channel like this one is a reversal head and shoulders pattern and I've got one of those forming on USD as well. These tend to be very reliable performers though the target is the other side of the channel in practice rather than the measured target:

I did have a nice little declining channel on ES to support my bear scenario today but resistance blew out at 1177 and I don't think that it's in play now. I have two others, one rising and one falling. We'll have to wait to see who wins the battle of the channels today:

Other indicators are a mixed bag here. The gold:silver ratio is rising, which is promising for a correction. We had a Vix sell signal earlier this week, which was encouraging, though most definitely not definitive. Vix looks flat, which isn't particularly encouraging and treasuries have not bounced with the sharp declines in equities in recent days, which isn't encouraging either though with treasuries trending flat to up during the bull move in recent weeks that may not signify much. It is also a POMO day today which could derail my bearish scenario. We shall see, but unless my declining resistance trendline breaks I'm leaning short today.

One last chart to share on silver where we have a perfect broadening descending wedge from the recent high on the 60nmin chart. The wedge looks very tradeable in both directions:

No comments:

Post a Comment