- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Monday 18 July 2011

Watching the Wedges

According to my Stock Trader's Almanac, the week after July opex leans bearish, with Dow down 7 of the last 12. Mondays have been modestly bearish too in recent months, though only 5 of the last 10 have closed down so I'm not treating today as bearish leaning. My feeling is that we should see a decent break up soon, though we might see a move down to make a lower low before then. That's a maybe though as support on ES in the 1303.25 area has held on 12 hourly candle tests since last week's low at 1295.25:
Looking at the trading hours charts, SPX is looking pretty bullish to my eye, with a reasonable quality falling wedge that was breaking up at the close on Friday. It looks like SPX will open back within the wedge at the open today but I'd be looking to a second break up through resistance to trigger a decent rally:
There's a similar falling wedge on the Dow as well, though that wedge has not yet broken up. The Dow wedge has a very good support trendline that I'd be expecting to hold on any push downwards today:
TF is still in the declining channel that I posted last week. with some solid looking support in the 822.75 - 833.5 area:
NDX hasn't formed a particular pattern really, but there is a decent resistance trendline as with the others. That trendline broke up on Friday though it may well open back below today:
I posted the possible IHS on SLV last week and suggested that might carry SLV through gap resistance, which it did. I'm wondering now whether SLV has bottomed and next resistance is at 39, with the IHS target at 39.2:
EURUSD is in a tight declining channel, and I'm watching that channel for a break up. On the USD charts of course there is every sign that USD has made a major low, so I'm not looking for any huge rally on EURUSD:
I think that the falling wedges on SPX and Dow are telling us that we're close to a short term low on equities here, and am expecting a strong move up soon. Whether that will be a strong move up to new highs is open to question. Summer rallies tend to be week and there are many clouds hanging over this market. A possible trigger for a strong rally is the US debt ceiling negotiations which may conclude this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment