- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Consolidation (Probably)

Obviously the pre-market high yesterday at 1280 ES held all day. ES and EURUSD were both looking short term overbought, and the hourly RSIs have now reset somewhat. I'm still wondering this morning about a possible retest of broken resistance at 1265 ES which I mentioned yesterday morning as a possibility. Much lower and I'd be wondering if we've seen a short term top yesterday morning:
On the daily chart SPX touched the upper bollinger band and pulled back. I was concerned to see a lower low on NYMO yesterday that could be a sign that we've made a short term high on equities. SPX needs to make new highs with NYMO to negate that bearish signal:
We saw a lot of resistance trendlines break on equities yesterday. On SPX, with declining resistance and the 200 DMA broken, the next resistance level is at the October highs, which need to be broken soon and with confidence. There's a similar though stronger setup on the FTSE daily chart which shows the immediate situation well. A failure here might result in a very sharp reversal:
On the TRAN chart the ascending triangle has broken up and TRAN was retesting broken resistance yesterday. On TRAN as with the Dow, the October highs have already been taken out. Dow and TRAN are the lead indexes at the moment, which isn't a healthy situation for bulls here:
On EURUSD the declining trendline that broke up yesterday is being retested as I write this in the 1.295 area. A break back below would suggest a retest of the lows:
I was saying yesterday morning that rising support in the 80 area needed to break on DX to confirm the low on EURUSD. That hasn't happened yet, though both have been tested hard. After another look at DX I've redrawn the rising channel as a rising wedge and the candidate double-top neckline and target is marked on the chart:
I'm in two minds here about where equities are headed. There were some big resistance breaks yesterday and that has me leaning long as long as the 1265 ES area holds. SPX needs to take out the October highs shortly however, and with confidence to avoid a double-top here. A break up on EURUSD would help equities a lot but we'll need to see support break on DX to confirm a low on EURUSD. I'm more cautious than usual here because at the moment I don't have any decent short term support trendlines on equities.

No comments:

Post a Comment