- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Monday 22 April 2013

A Modest Proposal

There was a cliffhanger close on Friday, with ES having tested but not broken over declining resistance from the high. Overnight ES has broken over that and I am expecting to see some follow through to the upside. as I mentioned on Friday Morning, this could be viewed as a falling wedge and in that case the technical target is a test of the highs, but wedges aren't good at making the full target, and there is strong resistance in the 1570/1 area:
Now that we have seen this break up on ES I will run through what I am seeing as an attractive scenario for what happens over the next few weeks as we see the usual strong retracement from the usual spring high. On SPX, as I have mentioned before, these highs generally take the form of an H&S or a double-top. I'm leaning towards an H&S at the moment, and as I was mentioning last week, the ideal right shoulder high would be in the 1574 area. The downside target for either an H&S or a double-top would be in the 1477 area:
One reason that I'm favoring the H&S scenario here is that there is also a clear short term IHS on the SPX 15min chart, and the target for that is in the 1574 area, at the ideal height for a right shoulder high. Declining channel resistance in the 1560 is resistance on the way there:
If this scenario plays out then the H&S or double-top target would be in the 1477 area, which would then have me looking at two levels near 1450 as the ideal retracement low area. The higher of those levels is the important 200 DMA, now at 1452. The lower of those is rising support from the October 2011 bear market low, and if we see a test of that trendline then we may well be looking at a part-formed rising wedge for this cyclical bull market, which would give us a decent upside target range for the next move up after the retracement:
Will we see this play out over the next few weeks? There's only one way to find that out for sure and that's to wait and see, but it hangs together well over multiple timeframes and I like it as a scenario.

On other markets TLT is testing the recent highs. The overall setup here strongly suggests a test of the 2012 highs:
CL is still forming a possible double-top targeting the 92.3 to 92.5 area on a conviction break over 89:
I've mentioned a few times that I'm doubtful about much more upside on EURUSD from here. Short term a bearish looking downsloping H&S is forming targeting a retest of the current lows and there is firm resistance in the 1.313 area:
For today I think we may well see the current opening gap fill and I'm expecting more upside after that.

1 comment:

  1. Ηeуa thіs is κind of of off tοpіc but I wаs wanting to
    know іf blοgѕ use WΥSIWYG editors or
    if уou have tο manually сodе ωіth НTML.
    Ι'm starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    Also visit my site: sleeplessouldesigns.com

    ReplyDelete