- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Thursday 3 October 2013

The Budget Deadlock Pattern

I don't know if it will continue today but the last two days have seen declines initially, followed by a dribble upwards all day on press conferences and vaguely optimistic statements that a budget deal might be close, then a decline overnight as it becomes clear than any agreement has been knocked back another day. This pattern may repeat again today of course.

On the SPX daily chart SPX is clearly trading around the middle bollinger band, currently at 1692. Support is at the 50 DMA, currently at 1680. Resistance is at the H&S neckline at 1697. If we break up from this range the obvious target is the upper BB, currently at 1727 but dropping fast. If SPX breaks down then the H&S target is at 1660, backed up by multiple support levels in the same area that now also includes the lower bollinger band. SPX daily chart:
On the SPX 60min chart The H&S neckline has been retested and there's not much to see unless SPX breaks back over the neckline or makes target. SPX 60min chart:
On ES I wanted to mention the weekly pivots today. i find these very useful and you can see that the low this week tested S2 (support level 2). Since that low support and resistance have, roughly speaking, been S1 and the pivot (in black). I would suggest that the low this week will most likely hold into the close tomorrow. ES 60min chart:
CL hasn't quite made the double bottom target I gave yesterday morning at 104.5. If it reverses at 104 I have a possible IHS scenario that could be very interesting and I've sketched that out on the chart below. CL 60min chart:
I was looking earlier this week at the possibility that a similar situation might be developing on ZB, with a possible IHS neckline in the 133'23 area there. ZB is looking very toppy there now and I have looked at the downside targets if ZB should now break down to form a right shoulder. ZB 4hr chart:
I have a possible reversal setup here on EURUSD that looks strong and could deliver a substantial retracement. A nice looking risk/reward play here. EURUSD 60min chart:
In the absence of a budget agreement today I'm expecting more chopping about within this range, and most likely a close within five points of the middle bollinger band. An agreement on the budget this week seems unlikely in the absence of any movement on either side.

No comments:

Post a Comment