- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Slow Starter

Yesterday was more tedious than I expected , though the bulls made some significant targets, notably the 50 hour moving averages on both SPX, now at 1873 and ES, now at 1868, so in effect at the same SPX level. The action yesterday looked somewhat bearish in the afternoon, and a new falling megaphone has been established, which I posted on twitter last night. If we see weakness this morning, which seems likely, then I will be looking for possible support at 1873 SPX. SPX 60min chart:
If SPX breaks back below the 50 hour MA, then I have the next serious support in the 1860-3 range, with the daily middle band at 1863, and the 50 DMA at 1860. This should be very strong closing support, though we could see a move underneath intra-day. SPX daily chart:
What the bulls failed to manage yesterday was to break over resistance on the large falling megaphone on NDX. If we are to see a test of the 1897 high on SPX, that would most likely be a prerequisite. After we see a low today, if indeed we see some retracement, the bulls will most likely get another chance to break up from the NDX pattern this afternoon or tomorrow. NDX 60min chart:
Oil bounced as I was suggesting yesterday morning, but failed hard at the daily middle band, and has now broken megaphone support on both the USO and CL charts. I've updated my WTIC chart to show the slightly ambiguous setup here, but as I mentioned yesterday, overall this has me leaning short on oil. The next obvious target is a test of the 97.37 low, and on a break below that I would have a double-bottom target in the 89 area. I have drawn in a possible descending triangle that might well give strong support in the 91.25 area. WTIC daily chart:
For today I'm leaning towards seeing some retracement that may be confined to the morning but may equally last much of the day. The SPX support levels that I will be watching are in the 1871-3 range, and then the 1860-3 range. I would be very surprised to see a close today below 1860. FOMC today, a heavy news week, and Thursday and Friday are both historically bullish. After any retracement is done I'd be expecting to see a run up into the NFP numbers on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment