- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Monday 2 June 2014

Band Ride - Day Six

Friday was the fifth day of the current ride up the daily upper bollinger band. After today the odds of staying with the upper band drop sharply so the odds are better than even that the current band ride will end today or tomorrow, and looking at the last few years, I would give at least even odds that the high made today or tomorrow will be within 15 points of the spring high. SPX daily chart:
On Friday SPX at last hit the weekly upper band as well and closed on it. That could rise ten to fifteen points this week and can overthrow intraweek, so there is an effective range this week that could stretch up to 1942 fairly easily and 1950 at a stretch. Further than that in June seems unlikely as primary channel resistance from the 2011 low is in the 1950 area, and I'm expecting that to be very solid resistance. SPX weekly chart:
On the 60min chart I have rising wedge resistance (from the 1737 low) in the 1930-2 area. There is also an open pattern target in the 1940 area so we could see an overthrow when rising wedge resistance is hit. I have drawn in a couple of options for that hit. SPX 60min chart:
I have mixed feelings about the RUT chart here. On the one hand it is underperforming badly, and has failed even so far to break the Tuesday morning high. On the other hand though RUT appears to be forming a bull flag, so it's possible that the real RUT break upwards is still to come, and that might fuel SPX and NDX going higher than I currently expect. I'll be watching RUT carefully. RUT 60min chart:
NDX has an open target in the 3875 area, but has reached a possible fail area at the old all time highs. There is some negative 60min RSI divergence and we could see a failure here. NDX 60min chart:
Whatever NDX does here it's most likely going to be doing it without much upward pressure from AAPL, which stopped a whisker short of rising channel resistance on Friday and reversed hard there. There may yet be an exact touch of channel resistance at a retest but that notwithstanding I'm not expecting significant further upside from AAPL in the near future and it may well start to retrace hard. AAPL daily chart:
A retracement of some kind feels close but I'm hoping to see at least a touch of SPX rising wedge resistance before that happens. When we do see that retracement I'll be watching the 50 hour MA for support and that closed Friday at 1904.

No comments:

Post a Comment