- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Thursday 17 August 2017

Bigger Dips

The daily middle band is a, and perhaps the, classic place for a bear move rally to fail, and after three days of failing to break above the SPX daily middle band this rally failed there into today's solid trend down day.

Since I capped the SPX chart below SPX has delivered a new retracement low. I'd like to see a move down to the 2405 area next to follow the path that I sketched in on the SPX chart at the end of July. Ideally SPX would then backtest 2450, possibly hitting the daily lower band at a lower level there, and then decline to the 2320 area, very possibly making the main retracement low there and setting up a solid dip buy opportunity into the end of the year. SPX daily chart:
NDX has now made a new retracement low as well and I still have a larger target back in the 5700 area from NQ, though I'll be watching the gap area not far above for possible support. NDX daily chart:
The ES, NQ and TF futures charts below were done an hour before the RTH open for Daily Video Service subscribers at theartofchart.net. If you are interested in trying our services a 30 day free trial is available here.

ES made the double top target I gave before the open this morning and kept going. Nice classic reversal. ES Sep 60min chart:
NQ made the double top target there and kept going. The new retracement low keeps open the 5710 target on NQ, though it isn't as strong a target as the H&S target on TF. NQ Sep 60min chart:
On TF the first H&S target at 1359 has been reached. The larger H&S target in the 1348 area should be reached soon. Might see a rally first. TF Sep 60min chart:
There's a lot of talk about the bearpocalypse starting here, but I see fibonacci pullbacks as a sign of a degree of market health. Personally I have made no changes to the proportion of my holdings invested in baked beans and bullets, and I would suggest that it's perhaps a little early to be gathering on mountain tops waiting for the end of all things. That said, I think the odds do favor more downside on equity indices in the next few weeks. :-)

Stan and I were doing our monthly free public Big Five webinar on AMZN, AAPL, FB, NFLX and TSLA at theartofchart.net an hour after the close today, but Stan is having major computer issues so we are delaying that until next Wednesday 23rd August. If you would like to see that you can register on our August Free Webinars page. This week's edition of The Weekly Call is posted and the model portfolio there is up 188% in the nine months to August 5th, obviously well on course to make our target minimum 200% return over the first year. As and when that target is reached we're thinking of making the strategy there a bit less conservative. That's a free weekly service and if you trade futures I'd suggest adding it to your reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment