- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Monday 10 January 2011

Are We There Yet?

The five week ES rising channel saw a serious pinocchio through it on Friday, and broke definitely overnight. The question now is whether equities have made the interim top already. Pug has his line in the sand at a close below 1257 SPX and I'd go with that. There's a potential H&S neckline at 1250 ES though, so we could well see a bounce there before further declines:

I've been giving a lot of thought to USD over the weekend as an analyst that I'm in correspondence with and respect a lot (but who doesn't wish to be named) tells me that he is expecting to see EURUSD bottom in the next day or two in the current area. That would be well short of my expectations but it could happen. Recent USD strength has been mainly about EURUSD weakness, and the commodity currencies particularly such as CADUSD and AUDUSD have remained strong while USD has been rising. Something to bear in mind and it isn't helpful that the EURUSD chart is a mess, without much in the way of useful shorter term support or resistance trendlines from the November top. On the USD weekly chart it has reached the top of the likely bull flag and we'll just have to see whether it can break above it. If it can then the next resistance level is 83.6 and I'd expect to see EURUSD fall to 1.26:
One currency that always amazes me with its strength is the Yen, as Japan is a debt-riddled stagnant disaster area. Nonetheless the Yen is seen as a safe haven for whatever reason, and shows no sign yet of becoming the killer short that it must one day become. On the ten year USDJPY chart there is a strong support trendline that was recently hit and a possible four year falling wedge. I'm expecting a move to the 87.5 area unless the USD rally does top out:
I haven't had a close look at copper so far this year so I thought I should review that this morning. On the big picture the rise since late 2008 has the look of a rising channel with the upper trendline recently hit. If it declines to channel support that would give us a target in the 350 area:
Has copper therefore made a major interim top? I think so. On the shorter term chart the support trendline for the move up since November was broken last week and the next obvious trendline support is in the 400 area. The decline so far has taken the form of a falling wedge which I'll be watching closely for direction:
One thing worth noting on the shorter term copper chart is the way that copper bottomed well before SPX in November. It will be well worth watching for directional clues as equities correct, as it should do the same again as the correction finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment