- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Looking for Retrace Soon

I've mentioned a few times that the punch over the weekly upper BB on Friday 15th November should deliver a 4% retracement starting soon, and I have a decent looking topping setup right here as it happens. On the SPX 60min chart that is a possible double-top at the high yesterday that would target the 1746 low (and possible H&S neckline) on a break below the last low at 1777.23 SPX. It may not deliver, or we may see another retest of the highs before it delivers, but this is a nice and classical reversal setup after last week's break below rising wedge support from the 1646 low. It's worth mentioning as well that 1746 would be an almost perfect 38.2% fib retrace of that move up from 1646. Just sayin '. SPX 60min chart:
Looking at ES there is obviously a possibility that we may see a retest of the highs before any short term high is made. If so I'd be looking for reversal there. If the short term high has already been made then I'd be seeing a break below yesterday's low at 1798.5 ES as confirmation that the short term high is in. ES 60min chart:
Looking at the SPX daily chart SPX is still riding the band. If we see a break downwards then first support is at the daily middle bollinger band, currently at 1777, also the trigger level on the possible double-top on the SPX 60min chart above. If ES and SPX break below yesterday's lows then we may see a fast slide to test that 1777 area support. SPX daily chart:
SPX is very extended here, bumping against the upper bollinger bands on the weekly and daily charts, with the weekly upper BB being formidable resistance historically. If we are to see anything other than a slow grind upwards then there will need to be decent retracements to clear overhead room for impulse moves up. We should see such a decent retracement soon, though it may not arrive until the (statistically bearish) week after Thanksgiving.

Just a short post today as I am packing for the holiday weekend. I'm planning to post a couple of charts before the open tomorrow and then I will most likely just be posting charts on twitter until I am back from my long holiday weekend next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment