- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Monday 7 July 2014

Broken Trendlines

Thursday was a strong day on SPX and NDX, and at the close, all three of the significant resistance trendlines that I was looking at in my Thursday morning post were broken. The most important of those was primary channel resistance from the October 2011, which had been tested and held in all four of the preceding weeks but has now finally been broken. I would expect another pattern to form and am considering the likely options, but at the least I'd be looking for a further move to the 2040 area now. SPX weekly chart:
Rising channel resistance from the 1926 SPX low also broke up. There's not much to suggest reversal on the 15min or 60min RSIs, and I now have my eye on rising megaphone resistance from 1814, currently in the 1995-2000 area. SPX 15min chart:
NDX broke up through rising channel resistance, and I'm looking there for a move to rising megaphone resistance in the 4025 area. NDX 60min chart:
The upper bollinger bands on SPX are a limitation here. On the daily chart less so, but SPX closed 4 points over the daily upper band on Thursday and we may see some weakness or consolidation today. Today is day four of the current ride up the SPX daily upper band. SPX daily chart:
The upper band is a very real limitation here on the SPX weekly chart. SPX also closed four points above the weekly upper band on Thursday, and unless we are to see a strong punch over the weekly upper band, which would generally be a strong topping signal, then SPX can only rise as fast as the weekly upper band can rise, which is about 10-15 points per week. If the band ride up the weekly upper band is to continue (currently starting week 7) then we are likely to see some more two way action. SPX weekly chart:
Leaning towards seeing some consolidation today or tomorrow. The stats for today are 62% bullish according to the Stock Trader's Almanac.

No room for non-equity charts today, so I'm planning to post TNX, oil and gold charts on twitter later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment