- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Thursday 15 December 2011

Nice Bounce Setup

There's a nice looking reversal setup on ES at the moment, with some positive divergence on the 60min RSI, and a little IHS that has formed overnight. I have the IHS target at 1230 and declining resistance on ES at 1230.75 at the moment. A nice setup that might play out:
That would be a short term reversal I think. On SPY I'm looking at the gap that is trying to fill at the moment and rising support from the October low just under that. That rising support from October is the likely downside target here I think. Any lower and Santa might not deliver a rally this year:
On 30yr treasury futures (ZB) the spike yesterday trashed the potential H&S that has been forming for weeks. Declining resistance from the September highs was also taken out and ZB is close to retesting the November high. I have a small rising wedge on ZB at the moment though it doesn't look particularly tradeable:
On oil futures many shorts will have been stopped out by the spike the other day when Iran closed the Straits of Hormuz. After that CL fell to 95 as expected, and on a conviction break there the double-top target would be in the 86.65 area:
I posted charts on gold and silver on Tuesday morning, and the scenario I outlined then is playing out nicely. It was pointed out to me last night however that I had left out an important support level on gold, so I've charted that today. That level is at rising support from the 2008 low, and I have that in the 1540 area at the moment. I'm expecting that to break, but I might be mistaken, and we may see a bounce there in any case:
One blog I check every day and mention often is Cobra's excellent blog here. Something I'd like to mention today is that Cobra is taking his blog subscription only soon, and is currently offering membership at $10 per month to anyone who signs up now. After he converts to sub only that rate will be going up to $30 per month or more so if, like me, you want to continue reading his daily write-ups at an annual price that would be repaid by one small scalp trade, you should consider signing up now.  The next chart is the great chart he posted last night comparing SPY with RSP (equal weight SPX ETF). Cobra's making the case that more downside looks likely, and that looks likely to me as well unless ES can break declining resistance in the 1230 area here:
I'm leaning towards seeing a test of that declining resistance on ES to start with today, but unless that breaks with conviction I'd expect new lows shortly tomorrow or Monday while SPY fills that gap above rising support from the October low. I wouldn't put too much faith in the declining support trendline on my ES chart. It's the third three-touch trendline I've used on ES so far this week, and the pinocchio through it at the overnight low suggests that this one might not hold either.

No comments:

Post a Comment