- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Friday 29 August 2014

Geopolitical Risks

Well we finally got the retracement I was looking for. It was shallow at 23.6% but the 1990 low established the rising channel from 1904 that I had been mentioning as a possibility since last week. Hopefully everyone saw that when I posted it on twitter after the low. There is still a possibility that a double top is forming at a test of the current highs, but I'm expecting another push up first.  I think the next significant retracement will most likely be a significant high, or start the topping process for such a high. SPX 60min chart:
Why do I think that? well I've been looking for that significant high in the 2011-21 range and on the daily chart there is now clear negative divergence on the RSI 5 and the NYMO. In the short term SPX should break up from a bull flag into my resistance area, but the next significant down day will most likely trigger a strong sell signal like the strong RSI 5 and NYMO buy signal I called at the 1904 low. I'm looking for a test of the daily upper bollinger band before that sell signal triggers, and that is now at 2020, along with the other resistance levels in the same area that I have talked about. SPX daily chart:
My July projection for TLT is chugging along nicely and TLT is now close to channel resistance. There is a possibility that geopolitical events might cause TLT to break up through channel resistance, but failing that I will be looking for at least some consolidation or retracement there. TLT 60min chart:
The wild card here is Ukraine. Markets have so far shrugged off the news that Russia has now invaded Eastern Ukraine with ground troops, in part perhaps because western leaders are in denial and calling it an incursion rather than an invasion. The reality is though that Russia is now waging a conventional war on Ukraine, and the way that develops could be the trigger to start the correction that I am looking for on equity markets in the near future. I'm looking for SPX to test my main resistance zone in the 2020 area before that correction, but depending on the way the Ukraine cards fall, SPX might not get there.

For the very short term the trading day before a holiday weekend tends to lean bullish, and the first trading day of September on Tuesday has been up 12 of the last 18. I am cautiously looking for new SPX all time highs both today and on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment