- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Friday 8 August 2014

Searching for Buried Treasure

I am looking very hard for a significant low in the next day or three, and for those wondering why that is while reading this post I refer you to the last chart in this post and the associated stats with the current daily NYMO/RSI 5 setup.

Bulls had a shot yesterday morning and blew it badly in short order. SPX closed on the daily lower band for a second day, and that was the sixth day of the current ride down the daily lower band. If the downtrend continues then I'd expect the lower band top close in the 1900-3 area today.

What was significant yesterday is that support in my 1911-4 range broke, and SPX closed four handles below the 100 DMA. If that follows through then the next big support level is the May lows and the 200 DMA in the 1862 area, though there are a series of smaller levels between of which the strongest is at 1883/4. SPX daily chart:
The tell for the bull fail yesterday morning was that RUT failed to confirm the SPX gap over trendline resistance. I think it's clear that RUT has now evolved into a 68% bullish falling wedge and I have redrawn the trendlines with channel support as secondary support. After the fail at falling wedge resistance yesterday RUT then broke short term rising support which is suggesting that the next move is to test falling wedge support again. We may see another spike down after a morning high today. RUT 60min chart:
I've been poring over the SPX chart and have three minor patterns for the decline from 1884. I don't have a decent overall pattern for this decline as yet, and that's a concern, as we may need another spike down to define that pattern. I'll be posting the minor patterns updates on twitter as I look for a low here. SPX 5min chart:
So why am I looking hard for a low here? Well if you have a look at the daily chart below you can see that there is obvious and strong divergence on both NYMO and the RSI 5. The stats on this setup are quite remarkable, and I ran these back to the start of 2007 overnight.

Since the start of 2007 there have been seventeen comparable daily divergences on both NYMO and RSI 5. in every instance a significant low was made, usually within a day or two, but less than five days later at the outside. Of those seventeen lows, nine went to new highs, and eight rallied to lower highs. Of the eight that rallied to lower highs only three were since March 2009, and of those three, two made it back to the 50 DMA, and the other fell just short. This is a very strong setup for reversal. SPX daily vs NYMO and RSI 5:
I have falling channel resistance on SPX in the 1923 area this morning and will be watching that area with great interest. If we see a break up I'll be looking for confirmation from RUT. I'll be assuming failure at a morning high unless demonstrated otherwise. I like the gap fill today, noting that the daily lower band will be below it, and that if the lower band ride is ongoing, I would expect at least a touch of the daily lower band today.

No comments:

Post a Comment