- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Thursday 28 August 2014

Retracement Targets

SPX traded sideways yesterday in what looked quite a lot like a bull flag, but has broken down overnight. It seems very likely that an overdue retracement has started, though we might still retest the current high to form a small double top. The main fib retracement targets are the 23.6% fib retrace at 1990, the 38.2% fib retrace at 1980, and the 50% retrace at 1973. The 50 hour MA is at 1992 and might hold for the 23.6% option. Rising wedge support has already broken, so that is no longer support. SPX 60min chart:
I'm leaning towards either of the 1980 or 1973 targets ideally, as this would (on my primary scenario) be setting up a topping pattern for a last new high. I have main support at 1956 at rising wedge support from the January low and the 50 DMA, but if SPX gets that far then a stronger high than I was expecting would already most likely be in. SPX daily chart:
I'm watching the Dow, NYA and RUT charts for hits of the support trendlines on those charts from the last low. Dow is a decent example of the distance yet to be covered from the close yesterday. The best fit on SPX would most likely be the 1980 target. Dow 60min chart:
Oil has been rallying a bit and I think we may see a retest of broken triangle support in the 96.5 entry. I don't think that a significant low is in so if we see that retest, that should be a short entry. WTIC daily chart:
I'll be looking for the retracement pattern today and will post it on twitter when I have identified it. I'm looking at this as a retracement to buy before another (probably last) push up into a significant high.

No comments:

Post a Comment