- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Friday 2 January 2015

Gapping Up Into 2015

That was an impressive decline on Wednesday, and that was a match to the bearish long term stats for the last trading day of the year. The stats today are neutral to very slightly bearish, though it has been a decent performer in recent years, and the gap up today is a promising start for bulls if it can be sustained.

Short term a falling channel was established at the lows on Wednesday and if that holds, then the next obvious move would be a retracement to channel resistance in the 2075-80 area. SPX 5min chart:
If SPX turns back down then it will be worth noting that there is now a clear rising wedge from the October low and that wedge support is currently in the 2010 area. There is decent support not far under Wednesday's low however, with the daily middle band at 2054, and both the 50 day MA and EMA in the 2035 area. While I'm expecting a move to test wedge support in the next couple of weeks, I'd favor a retest of the highs first to set up a small double top. SPX daily chart:
My lean today is towards a bounce or consolidation. I have caught a nasty cold variant from my daughter & wife so I may well just go back to bed today rather than trade. Volumes are still likely to be depressed today so the day may well in any case not be very interesting. A very Happy (and prosperous) New Year to everyone. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment