- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Dotted Arrows

Yesterday went very well for bulls on the surface, with a retest of the daily middle band and broken triangle resistance that held very well and closed above both. On the shorter term charts though a rising wedge from 2052 confirmed the wedge support trendline, and then broke down and retested in the afternoon. These patterns break down 69% of the time and after a break like this, assuming it didn't then break up (31% option), then I'd be looking for a double top or H&S to form then either a 38.2% to 61.8% fib retrace (continuation wedge option) or a full retracement of the wedge (reversal wedge option).

I posted the double top option on twitter last night. On this scenario I'd be looking for a retest of yesterday's high, and then a retracement to the 38.2% fib retrace in the 2084 area. SPX 5min chart (DT scenario):
ES has broken below 90 overnight however, so I think we are going with the H&S option, with a target in the same area as the double top option. There is strong support in the 2080-5 area and I'm expecting that to hold. If it breaks hard then SPX may potentially retrace all the way back to 2052. SPX 5min chart (HS Scenario)
On the daily chart I would very much like to see a close today at 2091/2 or better to avoid breaks of the 5 DMA and daily middle band. As long as 2080-5 holds and we see the close at 2090/1 or better then the current uptrend should just continue from there. A closing break below 2090 wouldn't mandate more downside, but it wouldn't be a good sign. SPX daily chart:
What Stan and I are looking for over the next few days is for support in the 2080-5 area to hold, then a move to the 2122 area where there is a big inflection point. I'm leaning long at that inflection point into the 2165-95 area, ad Stan is leaning short for a reversal back into 2040-50 range support. Which way will this go? Well the pattern structure should be clearer by then and should give us some clues. We'll be posting updates on the way.  Stan has posted an update video this morning and you can see that here.

No comments:

Post a Comment