- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Friday 7 August 2015

Pattern Setup Clarifying

The low yesterday confirmed a triangle option that I wasn't looking hard at, but I'd not treated as the main triangle option here. It's big, and when it breaks I'm expecting it to break up. In the meantime Stan's expecting a marginal lower low today and that would be a false break down as long as the equivalent triangles marked on RSI don't break down. Resistance is now at yesterday's broken support in the 2087 area, and Stan is looking for support today in the 2069-73 area, though it could run a little lower. SPX daily chart:
The really interesting pattern to emerge yesterday however was on Dow, where the triangle I showed yesterday morning with the solid three touch resistance trendline has evolved into a perfect falling wedge. These break up 68% of the time and this pattern is strongly supporting my expectation that the SPX triangle will break up. If we see a lower low below the falling wedge today I'll be working on the assumption that would be a bullish underthrow of this falling wedge before it breaks up. Dow 60min chart:
Is there a risk that this all breaks down instead? Definitely. Technical Analysis only weighs the odds of particular outcomes, as no-one can actually discern the future. If we do see a hard break down on SPX below 2040 then I'd be looking for a move to the 1950 area, and both this triangle and the falling wedge would support that move, as by then I'd expect both to have broken down with conviction. Until then this is a bullish setup, with likely support not far under yesterday's low, and a target range on a break up in the 2165-95 area. If we see that move it should be a termination move that leads directly into a much stronger pullback.

Both Fridays and NFP days have leaned bearish in recent months. Everyone have a great weekend. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment