- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Step Aside 1987 Crash and Lehman Brothers

That was an amazing day yesterday, and the close near the (SPX) lows delivered a second straight daily close well under the 3SD daily lower band, a feat not equalled in the 1987 crash, the 1994 bonds crash, the 1997 Asian Crisis, the 1998 Russian Crisis and collapse of LCTM, the 2000 Tech Crash or the Lehman Brothers in 2008. Why? Not sure yet though Shanghai falling to a level last seen six months ago doesn't seem like a great reason.

Hat tip to my option trader friend Yousuf Hamid here for his prediction to me at the weekend that the next move would be a hard and fast fall to 1820. Nice call mate.

SPX broke far below the 61.8% fib retrace of the rising wedge from the October low at 1820. That makes 1820 the obvious target for the current move and if that is going to be tested I'd expect that today or tomorrow. I would also draw your attention to the huge volume spike yesterday that was the largest in the last year and considerably larger than the spike seen at the October low. A meaningful low should not be more than a day or two away. If we see a lower low I'll be watching the 60min chart for positive divergence. SPX daily chart:
Short term I have two options for an AM high and fail today. The first is possible double bottom resistance in the 1955 area. On a break above I'd be looking for 2053. The double bottom could be a bear flag however. If that formed a bear flag channel I'd be looking for resistance in the 1965-75 area and then a fail into new lows. SPX 60min chart:
It's going to be whippy today. Trade safe. Intraday this is a market for the quick and the dead. If you aren't quick then it may be worth taking the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment