- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Thursday 21 January 2016

Volume Thrusts As An Indicator

If you look at the bottom of the daily chart below you can see that I have added some annotations and shading to highlight where there are spikes in the daily volume well over the average. I mark these up because these volume spikes occur at, or very close to, reversal areas, and the last two days have generated these spikes. I've looked at these in 2008/9 and the main differences in a bear market/crash situation were that the average volume was higher, and it often took more volume spikes to turn in very strong moves. Volume spikes like this will generally deliver a swing low within two or three days. That might just deliver a rally, but to just keep running lower would be a rarity. That is the overall context today. SPX daily chart:
Shorter term the falling wedge on SPX has clearly evolved into a falling megaphone. The obvious next target within that megaphone is megaphone resistance in the 1890 area, with a lot of other resistance around it such as the 5dma, the 50 hour MA etc. A break above this resistance should signal that at the least a swing low is forming, though as ever the low could still be retested. If we see a retest of yesterday's low directly from here then that would likely deliver a marginal new low setting up a very possible double bottom. SPX 60min chart:
I'm leaning towards that 1890 test area initially today, with a probable fail there as Stan & I don't think the swing low is in yet. We may be wrong though & if SPX recovers back over 1900 with any force then most likely we are. If that resistance holds I'd expect at least a retest of the lows from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment