- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Wednesday 30 November 2016

Lost in Translation

I mentioned last night on twitter that at the end of the day there was an unusual situation where ES was holding the weekly pivot there as solid support, and TF had established the weekly pivot as solid resistance. This is a rarity and can't last long unless they just chop sideways together.

ES built on that weekly pivot support to make a new all time high this morning. Was that bullish? No, as there is nothing inherently bullish about a high retest. Every double top setup requires one and they aren't bullish. The thing I was watching was what TF was doing with the weekly pivot  .........ES Dec 60min chart:

TF held the weekly pivot all night as resistance and there is still a very nice looking H&S fully formed there to add to the double top setup here on ES that has improved considerably in quality overnight. In the hour after the open I shorted 1335 twice on TF (just under the weekly pivot at 1335.8) and it rejected over five handles both times with twenty minutes, so that is still solid resistance. TF Dec 60min chart:
The TF H&S needs to break down today really if it's going to, but as long as that weekly pivot is holding as resistance today then this is a nice setup for a very overdue modest retracement. and I'll keep shorting TF at 1335 until the H&S delivers or the resistance fails. If there is no retracement today then the chances of seeing a retracement here drop dramatically, as while the historical stats for today are definitely bearish, the first day of the month tomorrow tends to be a bad day to be relying on a bear setup to play out. The H&S on TF will also by then be starting to look more like a hearse limo, a rarer and less predictable pattern.

As an aside this setup is a good illustration of a problem trading correlations that I've talked about before. I've been expecting ES to drop on the basis of the TF short setup, but I didn't short ES, I shorted TF. That's because I know from experience that correlations shift all the time. If you're so confident that USD is going up that you are thinking of shorting gold, don't do it, cut out the middleman and go long USD. There's less chance of your trade being lost in correlation translation.

Stan and I are doing our monthly public (and free to all) Chart Chat at theartofchart.net on Sunday and you might like to attend if you enjoy top quality TA or have any interest in where the prices of a wide range of tradable instruments are likely to be going. If you'd like to attend then I'll be posting the link to register tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment