- WE'RE JUST RANDOM SPECKS OF DUST IN A TORNADO TO THE MARKETS .......
- CHARTISTS MUST PUT ALL BIAS ASIDE AND LET THE CHARTS DO THE TALKING OR WE'LL SEE ONLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- This blog has a copy of all header posts that I publish anywhere, so that those interested in seeing what my thoughts are on the markets can find them easily.
- I will be answering questions and responding to comments, so feel free to respond to any posts and I will see your comment even if it is not on the most recent post.
- If you're interested in seeing any intraday charts I post, I do that on twitter, and my twitter handle is @shjackcharts.
- The charts in the posts are as large as I can practically make them. if you would like to look at one more closely, click on it, and the link will take you to a larger version at screencast. If you click on that again, you will get a full page version, and can use the resizing function on your browser to enlarge parts of interest further.

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Key Support Levels Broken

I mentioned in my post yesterday that we hadn't seen any kind of meaningful retracement on ES since the low and here we are. The gap I wasn't expecting to fill filled, and we had a serious reversal day.

Since then ES has returned to retest the rebroken range support / resistance level at 1016.5, and then fallen back to near the lower range trendline at 1101.5. I am expecting a test of that trendline today, and if broken the next target is the lower trendline of the range below at 1084 ES:


Fortunately I cancelled my long orders on ES when EURUSD broke down through an important resistance level yesterday, followed then by ES, GBPUSD and Oil, among others.

I don't think that this is the major top that I am looking for, mainly because the USD currency pairs that I'm watching have not yet reached target. EURUSD and GBPUSD particularly are halfway to their targets, and have stopped at natural internal resistance levels. After this retracement I am expecting their climbs toward target to resume. Here's what I mean on the EURUSD:


There is no pattern on EURUSD that gives a retracement target, but I have found a right angled and ascending broadening formation on GBPUSD with a target in the 1.46 area. This is a medium probability pattern however, and it may not make target:


I also have a retracement target on the Vix of just under 28. There is a declining trendline on the Vix that may well contain any retracement for the moment:


Oil broke the recent rising channel yesterday. Unfortunately a broken channel gives us no retracement target, but I have marked the two obvious retracement targets on the chart.


There are no really solid retracement targets to give here. The highest probability target for me on ES is 1084, as that would be an almost exact 50% retracement from the most recent major low, but 1101.5 may not be broken. More significant will be when we break back up with confidence through an upper range trendline, as that will be a strong signal that the retracement is finished. Until then the range trendlines are still the most important support and resistance levels and should be used for short and long entries cautiously while this retracement continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment